Opportunities and Issues
By their very nature, golf courses offer significant open spaces and opportunities to provide needed wildlife habitat in increasingly urbanized communities across North America. At the same time, golf courses are called to address environmental concerns related to the potential and actual impacts of water consumption and chemical use on local water sources, wildlife species and native habitats.
The ACSP for Golf Courses seeks to address golf’s environmental concerns while maximizing golf course opportunities to provide open space benefits. At Collier’s Reserve, we are deeply committed to this highly-regarded education and assistance program that promotes comprehensive environmental management, enhancement and protection of existing wildlife habitats and recognition for those who are engaged in environmentally-responsible projects.
Good for the environment; good for golf
The ACSP presents a win-win opportunity for the game of golf and the environment. Here are just a few of the many benefits our members frequently report.
- Enhances the natural beauty of the golf course.
- Reduces water use and the need for expensive chemical applications.
- Promotes the course’s positive, pro-active environmental achievements.
- Educates golf course employees about habitat management, Best Management Practices, and public outreach strategies designed especially for golf courses.
- Provides on-going technical information, support, and guidance for implementing environmental projects.
- Results in financial savings on course maintenance.
- Connects superintendents and course personnel with local resource people and organizations that can support the golf course’s environmental management programs.
- Improves job satisfaction.
Audubon International believes that by working cooperatively with course maintenance staff, club personnel, golfers, and industry associations, we can help golf courses integrate sound environmental management practices and make a valuable contribution to conservation. Together, we are enhancing the game of golf while improving the quality of the environment through stewardship action.